Monday, April 13, 2009

Pop-up Cards






Pop-up cards are fun to get and fun to make. Some people find them to be very simple. Others (like me) find the folds difficult to understand at first, but once you've got that down, then they become easy. Hopefully, I can explain the folds simply enough for you to get it quicker than I first did.

1. You need 2 piece of paper. With this card, I used a piece of Whisper White cardstock cut 8 3/8 x 5 3/8," folded in half. The other piece is your decorative paper. On this card I used a sheet from the Raspberry Tart collection cut 8 1/2 x 5 1/2" and scored and folded at 4 1/4." You could also use a solid colored cardstock.
2. Lay aside your decorative paper. On this card I made 3 pop-up places but it can be just one or as many as you think looks good. With your Whisper White cardstock folded in half, you will need to cut 2 pararell lines for each popped piece. Cut on the folded side, not the side that will open. Cut the largest piece about 1 1/2" long. The other popped pieces I cut about 1/2" or so. Your 2 cut lines need to be the same length. I hope you can see that in the picture.
3. With the Whisper White cardstock still folded, wiggle your cut area back & forth to do a complete fold up of each piece. Use your bone folder to crease this. Then fold it back the other direction turning your white cardstock completely over & crease again.
4. Push just the cut parts inward so that they will be on the inside of the card. This will make the place for you to put your items to pop up. Refer to the pictures.
5. On one side of the Whisper White cardstock, put glue or double sided tape (Snail works great) on the edges of 3 sides only. Do NOT put adhesive on the folded side where you cut for your pop ups. See the arrows I've drawn in the picture.
6. Place this inside your folded decorative paper with the folded edges together. Press down one side. Then turn it over & do the same to the other side.
7. Open the card up & you should see your popped areas for you to add your images. If they are not popped up, then take a small file or tweezers & place under the cut out areas to pop them up.
8. Add you images to the popped areas. I used 2 flowers from Wonderful Watercolors and the flower in a pot found in the Occasions mini catalog now out.
Tomorrow, I'll talk about decorating the outside & how I colored these images. Hope the pictures help with your understanding. If you have any questions, just ask & I'll be happy to try to explain further if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment