Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Masking technique

Good Morning! I hope you slept better last night than I did! I woke up far too many times with my hips hurting. I don't know if the weather is changing again or if I've been riding my bicycle too much. Anyway, today's tip...







Masking is a fairly simple technique once you understand the idea behind it.The purpose is to make the other stamped images look like they are sitting behind one main image. Look at yesterday's card to see the finished product.
1. I stamped my flower from Wonderful Watercolors set (#115114) in the center of my Whisper White cardstock. Then I stamped 2 more images on scrap cardstock. Cut out the 2 additional images closely on the outside lines.
2. Lay one of the extra images carefully on top of your image that you are working with. Make sure you have it lined up exactly on the same lines as your first image.
3. Hold the "mask" image in place & stamp to one side, slightly overlapping your first image. Roll your stamp slightly to the inside to get more coverage. Because of the mask, you will not be able to stamp totally up to the original image but the rolling will help it get closer.
4. Keep the first mask in place. Put the second mask on top of the second image. Then stamp again slightly overlapping both images.
5. Continue stamping around the original image, leaving the first mask in place. Move the second mask each time to cover the image closest to where you are stamping.
6. Because I am not able to stamp right up next to my orginal image, I use my Stampin' Write journaler (#105394) to carefully draw in where the lines would be to fill in those blank spots.
Then color your images using shadowing behind the original image.
Hope this helps. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment