Monday, August 10, 2015

A Little Bird

I picked up a Martha Stewart Hand Lettering Kit not long ago at my local Michael's and I've been playing around with it. My friend, Milie Jones, does lots of hand lettering and it looks great but any time I've tried hand lettering, I didn't like the looks of it. There are so many times that I want a title or a greeting that I just don't have a stamp for... So with Martha's guidance, I've been practicing. Here is my first card that I've done hand lettering on. I don't think it's too bad but I hope with more practice, I'll improve.


Materials needed:
Fine tip pen for lettering
Pencil
Flock Together patterned paper (SU, retired) 4 x 5 1/4 & 3 1/2 x 4 1/4" 
  These two pieces were the front and back of one sheet
Marina Mist card stock 4 1/4 x 5 1/2"
Feather Stencil by Jenni Bowlin
Marina Mist ink
sponge
button
Candy Dots
glue dots
Stampin' Dimensionals

1. After the paper is cut to size, I stenciled the feather on the patterned paper. I place the stencil how I wanted it and placed a small piece of scrap paper on each side of the feather I planned to stencil. You might want to use a bit of repositional tape to hold it in place. I dabbed the sponge on the Marina Mist ink pad.Then I dabbed it on to the stencil. I used side swipes on the edges to get a good look on the feather.
2. Next, I hand lettered the greeting I wanted. I draw lines to keep my letters straight with pencil first. Then I use pencil to do my hand lettering. If you don't want to get the Martha Stewart kit, I know that many card making magazines and web sites, have info about hand lettering. After I've got the letters in pencil, I go over them in ink. Always give the ink a bit of time to dry before you erase the pencil marks. If you don't, you could smear the ink and then you have a mess. I know. I've made plenty of messes.
3. Add the Candy Dot to the left of the lettering and a button to the top left. Use glue dots to adhere the button.
4. Adhere the striped patterned paper to the card stock. The place dimensionals on the back of the feather piece and place on top of the patterned paper. 

The card can be used for many different things. Think of all the times someone has said "well. a little birdie told me." You can send a card for that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment