Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Christmas Window

I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but for those of us who make our own Christmas cards, we have to start early. It's less than 6 weeks until Christmas Day and even less than that to mail your cards. So here is one that I designed for my own use that has a very religious theme. It's also a bit more time consuming to make. I actually started on this one back in July but haven't gotten very many of these finished. With being my usual busy self plus an extreme allergic reaction to pencillin, I've had trouble just getting 3 cards a week on my blog. Now, I've got a torn rotator cuff and will be having surgery right after Thanksgiving so it looks like I won't get these finished for this year. Maybe I can send it out next year!

With the rotator cuff problem (my right shoulder & I'm right handed) I am limited on the things I can do. I'm trying to make enough cards ahead, before my shoulder gets to the point that I won't be able to use it at all, so that I will still be able to have 3 cards a week for you. Well, have to see what happens with that.

At first glance, this looks more like an Easter card, than a Christmas card. IMO, Christmas wouldn't matter, if Jesus hadn't died on the cross for us at Easter time, so I started this card with a cross.

Crosses of Hope stamp set (#120567)
Gumball Green In Color ink
Whisper White cardstock, 1 piece 4 1/4 x 5 1/2" and 1 piece 5 1/2 x 8 1/2" for each card
Primrose Petals In Color ink
Midnight Muse In Color ink
Wisteria Wonder In Color ink
Daffodil Delight classic ink
Marina Mist classic ink
Sponge Daubers (#102892) one for each color works best
Evergreen stamp set (#127973)
craft knife
ruler
Simply Scored Scoring Tool (#122334)

Use a ruler to measure the center of the card and lightly draw a pencil line down the center of the card. Choose the cross that you like and stamp it centered on the line with Midnight Muse ink. You also need to stamp another cross to cut out and use as a mask.

Use a large label to make a pattern for the window. Trace the label and cut out the inside on some scrap cardstock. Lightly draw with pencil the entire pattern of the inside of the window. You will use this later. Use paperclips to hold the pattern in place on the 4 1/4 x 5 1/2" piece of Whisper White.

Hold your cross mask on top of the stamped cross.  Use the sponge daubers and 5 colors of ink to stamp the inside of the window to give it a stained glass look. Remove the paper clips and pattern. Use the star from Evergreen stamp set to stamp around the top and sides of the window.

Use the Scoring Tool to score the edges of the window about 1/2" from each side of the cardstock depending on the label you used. The label that I used was cut from an Original Sizzix crescent tag die. Look to see where the curve of the top of the window ends and begin your score mark from there and end it at the bottom of the tag.

Use a craft knife and cutting mat to cut down the center of the window on the same line you stamped the cross on. Then erase any pencil marks that still show. With the craft knife, cut the line you drew earlier on the curved top and the straight bottom of the window pattern.

Use your bone folder to fold the window sides back so that the window will open.


Check back on Friday for materials and instructions on the inside of the window and the inside of the card.

No comments:

Post a Comment