Wednesday, July 16, 2014

So Sweet Cards make a bundle

We all like to get the most for our money! I'm certainly no exception to that. I love sales. I'll buy almost anything if it's on sale....well, maybe not. That's one reason (among many) why I love Operation Christmas Child. I can buy things on sale all year round with the excuse that it's for my shoeboxes!
If you buy a paper pack, you can make dozens of cards and not have to use anything other than the paper in the pack. Of course, it's always fun to use other embellishments too. For today's cards, I'm going to show you how to make 5 different cards using very little other than the paper pack.

This paper pack is from the Paper Studio. It's called So-So-Sweet with glitter and has 3 sheets each of 20 designs. You can see that this is marked at $14.99 but I picked it up at Hobby Lobby when it was 50% off. I also used
Melon Mambo and Lost Lagoon card stock
white card stock
Word Window punch
corner rounder punch
half backed pearls
washi tape from Wal-Mart
Melon Mambo ink pad
Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set from Stampin' Up!
Doily from the baking department

Now I know that the card stock and paper pack are made by different companies but the colors still match very well. Some times all it takes is a good eye.

I cut each of the patterned papers to 4 x 5 1/4" and the solid card stocks to 4 1/4 x 5 1/2." While I used SU! card stock, the pack has a number of solid papers that would be great for a background if you don't have or don't want to use the SU! This paper pack is 8 X 8" so cutting the patterns like this, you can get 2 card from each sheet. Use the leftover pieces for decorative elements.

In this pack is a pattern that is strips. It works really well to cut the strips apart with your paper cutter. They can then be used in the same way you would use ribbons.



 
These are just a few ideas of how you can put these cards together. You could also cut out some of the butterflies and put them on top of other elements on the card. Use dimensionals to give them some dimension on the card. You also might want to curl the wings by rolling the wing tips around a pencil. They may flatten out some in the mail but it will still give them a little more dimensional look. 

On the last card, I will probably add a stamped image on white card stock to the center of the patterned paper over the doily. I could stamp a flower, butterfly or saying with Melon Mambo ink on white card stock. This might also be a nice place to put that butterfly that you cut out on dimensionals.

You can mount these card on white card stock, like I do so often, or you can use the solid card stock cut at 5 1/2 x 8 1/2" with a fold at the center for your card back. You can then place your greeting or note on the inside. I usually use the white because, IMO, it's easier to read the message that is stamped or written inside. Of course, this depends on the colors you use.

You could use any number of embellishments to add to the cards but you can made a very attractive card with just the papers in the paper pack and your imagination! Have fun!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment