Friday, February 7, 2014

Acrylic Batik Cards

Ok, so I was talking to a friend a few days ago and she told me that she is entirely into digital scrapping and card making now. She has given all of her hands on products away. We decided that since I am really a tactile person, I'm one who likes to get my hands dirty. Well, today's cards will really get your hands dirty or at least, they did mine! I've got 2 different cards today with the same technique and the same card map so I'm going to show you both of them.
I saw this technique on Split Coast Stampers. This is my take on it. I've got lots of pictures so I'll try to show you step by step.

Materials needed:
I'm listing all materials for both cards.
Secret Garden stamp set (#129144)
Secret Garden Framelits dies (#12937)
White card stock for each card 4 1/4 x 5 1/2"
Acrylic paint (I use Liquitex but any brand is fine. Craft paints work also)
    Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue
    Cadmium Red Deep hue
    Cerulean Blue (for friend to friend card)
    Burnt Sienna (for happy card)
Wild Wasabi card stock 2 1/4 x 4 or 2 x 4"
Primrose Petals ink (for friend card)
Gumball Green ink (for friend card)
Crushed Curry ink (for happy card)
Versa Mark ink
Pistachio Pudding ink (for happy card)
Brads Subtles (#119738)
Clear Embossing Powder
Word Window punch (for friend card)
Large Oval punch (for happy card)
 A piece of plastic like a credit card or an old drivers license 
Paper towels or wet wipes(optional)

1. Choose a background stamp or cover the white card stock with designs, like I did with the Secret Garden stamps. Stamp the entire white card stock with the images and Versa Mark ink.

2. Sprinkle clear embossing powder over the entire design. Shake off the excess and heat set it.



This one is the background I used for the happy card.
Now, I want to show you what happened when I left out the 2nd step. This shows that you need to check your directions often. lol
Actually, I think I might use this for another card but it doesn't show the stamped images. Don't forget step 2! 
This is more what it is supposed to look like, with the images showing through the paint.

3. Choose 3 colors of paint and drip, dot or splash it on to the stamped card stock.
4. Use your plastic card to move the paint around. Move it in different directions to get the paint covering the entire card. You don't want to leave any white showing.
This was the part that was so messy. You want to be sure to have paper or something to protect your table. You will be wiping paint off the card onto whatever it is sitting on.
Wipe the paint with the plastic until the embossed images show.
Give it about 10 minutes to dry.
5. On white card stock, stamp your leaf and flower images from the Secret Garden stamp set. Cut them out with the Secret Garden Framelits dies and your Big Shot machine. (or with a pair of scissors) Adhere them on to the Wild Wasabi card stock. Adhere the Wild Wasabi on to the dried painted batik background that you made.
6. Stamp your greeting on white card stock. The friend greeting was stamped with Primrose Petals ink. Punch the greeting out with the Word Window punch. Rub the edges directly to the Primrose petals ink pad to ink the edges. Adhere it to the bottom right of the card and add brads.
For the "happy" greeting, I didn't have one exactly like I wanted. I chose a "happy birthday" stamp from Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set. I used a piece of scrap paper to cover up the "birthday" when I stamped it with Crushed Curry ink.
This way only the "birthday" had ink on it. I stamped it 3 times for the "happy, happy, happy" saying. Yes, I am a fan of Duck Dynasty!
I cut this greeting out with the Large Oval punch. Then I rubbed the edges on the Crushed Curry ink, just as I did the friend one. I place this one at the top right and added brads.
Because I used so many warm colors on this card, I decided to use some cool green brads here.
7. Adhere the completed card front to a card base and then add your message to the inside.
Always be sure to sign you creation somewhere on your card. I have a stamp that I found years ago that says "handmade just for you" that I stamp on the back of all my cards. I then add my initials and the year. (jj/14)






No comments:

Post a Comment