Friday, August 16, 2013

Homemade Textured Paste on card

I love texture and I love when I learn a new technique! Recently I learned how to make my own texture paste. I've used spackle and gesso on my cards and layouts before but that stuff can be kind of expensive, especially the texture pastes that you can buy. Well, making your own is super easy! All you need is baking soda (Yes, from your kitchen), Elmer's (or any brand) school glue, a bowl and a stir stick or knife.

1. Mix about 1/4 cup of baking soda with about 2 tbl school glue. You might want to do less but these would be your proportions. Mix them until it looks like a thick icing. You might need to add a drop or two of water to get the consistency that you want.


2. If you want colored paste instead of white, you can add a drop or two of your SU! reinker. For the leaves on this card, I used a few drops of Old Olive reinker.


3. You can use a plastic or metal stencil (like you see in the top picture) to form the shapes you want. About 12-13 years ago, the brass metal stencils were real popular to use for your embossing before all the embossing folders came out. If you have some of these hiding in your closet or craft room, dig them out for this project. The daisy stencil I used here was from the SU! catalog in 2000. Wow! now that's a while ago! lol
4. Place the stencil flat on your cardstock. You may want to use a bit of repositional tape to hold the stencil in place. Use a popcicle stick, a knife or a paint palette knife (see top picture) to spread the paste onto the top  of the stencil on the cardstock. Scrape off the excess above the stencil and remove the stencil. Allow the paste 15-20 minutes to dry and you have your texture on your card.
5. I used Pacific Point cardstock here and to complete the card, I added a button from the Brights Collection(#119747) of designer buttons from SU!
This dries fairly quickly and will not work well after it has dried. For leftovers, you can place it in a zipper type baggie but it doesn't keep well. It's best if you make just the amount you think you will need for your project.
Finish out your card with a card base and you are ready to amaze your friends!

1 comment:

  1. That looks good, Judy :) Thanks for the recipe. I am going to go find those brass stencils of mine now....

    ReplyDelete