Monday, March 12, 2012

Bold Stars

#3 Grandson had a birthday on the 9th. He turned 18. He's already enlisted in the Marines & will be going to boot camp soon. This is the card I made for him.


For this card, you need a piece of white cardstock 5 1/2x 8 1/2", a piece of patterned paper 5 1/2 x 8 3/4", a piece of coordinating patterned paper 3x4" and some scrap white cardstock. I used patterned paper from the Celebrations Designer Series Paper from last year's SU! catalog. I wanted something bright & bold for a young man about to go into the Marines.
1. With the white cardstock, after I folded it in half, I cut 2 slits on the folded side to make a popup. Check out my tutorial on popups that is here This card needs the pop up tab on the inside.
2. From scrap white cardstock, I stamped the stars from the Sprinkled Expressions set (#125130) that is in the Sell-a-Bration catalog. I cut around the edge of the stars and adhered it to the pop up tab.
3. I used 5 tiny star brads to "sprinkle" stars down the bottom of the card. I then stamped stars from Starring You set (#111696) around the top half of the card and a greeting from On Your Birthday set (#111664) to the left of the star brads.
4. Wrap the 5 1/2 x 8 3/4" patterned paper around the outstide of the white cardstock to cover the hole left by the pop up tab. Adhere like shown in the pop up tutorial. You may need to trim a little off of the edges of the patterned paper but I'd rather trim than have it too short.
5. Using the happy birthday star stamp from the Starring You set, I stamped in on scrap white with Night of Navy classic ink (#102977). I punched the circle out with my 1 3/4" circle punch(#119850). I then inked the edges of the circle with the Night of Navy. Using Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430) I popped the circle on the 3x4" piece of patterned paper on the left side.
6. With some 1/4" Real Red Grosgrain ribbon (#109034), I tied a bow around the right side of the patterned paper. To help it stay in place, I used a couple of glue dots (#103683) under the ribbon.
7. I stamped the "look who's turning ()" from the On Your Birthday set in Night of Navy. Punch it out with the 1 1/4" circle punch(#119861). Ink the edges like you did with the other circle. Write the age (18) in the space with a Night of Navy marker(#100069) and adhere to the bottom right corner of the 3x4" paper.
8. Adhere this all to the front of the card in the center.

10 comments:

  1. Sweet birthday card for your grandson! I am sure he loved it!! Cure pop-up inside, too! :)
    Hugs,
    Bridgett

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful card, I can't imagine your Grandson not loving that card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your card Judy, very fitting for a young service man. I'm going to check out your tips for creating a pop-up card, I love the way the star pops up :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card. I have a son in the USAF. He has had two Birthdays in two different countries in the last two years. Thank your grandson for his service. I know he will love this card. It is perfect.TFS
    theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE pop up cards...nicely done! I'm sure he loved his card.
    My best to you,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card Judy, love the star pop-up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to try a pop up card. This looks like a good one to start with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really cute and such a neat idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pop-up cards, they are really fun to do. Your card is really cute, I hope your grandson loved it! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete