Thursday, April 12, 2012

What is a card front?

When I first started stamping, I stamped everything directly onto whatever I was using for my card. That was usually an 8 1/2 x 4 1/4" sheet of white cardstock. Those cards weren't too bad for the way they were done 20 years ago when I first started in stamping. As the craft has evolved so have our methods of card making. Today, I always make a card front first and then add it to a folded sheet of cardstock, usually white but not always.

The card front starts with the background paper or cardstock. This is what you will put the rest of your design on. For the average card, I use a patterned paper or a piece of cardstock that measures 4 1/4 x 5 1/2." This will fit on the front of the folded 8 1/2 x 4 1/4" sheet of cardstock for the card base. I do NOT adhere this card front to the base until I am completely finished with my design.

I add whatever layers I desire onto the card front. That will include my stamped & colored images, punched borders, brads, ribbons, etc. You want the brads to go all the way through the layers on the card front but not through the card base. If it goes into the card base, then the backs of the brads shows through into the card. Ugly!

Here is what the back of the card front might look like when you are finished with your design.

Do you see the folded brads & the ends of ribbon that you put on the front? You really don't want that to show inside your card. That's why you haven't adhered it to the card base yet. If you are finished with your design, NOW you can adhere it to the card base. I usually place adhesive to all four edges and a diagonal strip across the middle.

Hope that helps you starting out? If you have any questions, post them on the comments, & I will try to answer them as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment