Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Scrapbooking Painted Churches

Central Texas is fortunate to have several historic painted churches from the late 1800's and early 1900's. My sweet hubby & I did a tour of 6 of them back in February of this year & I'm finally getting around to scrapbooking them. I plan to put them in their own album. I have almost 100 pictures that I took on that day trip. This is the first church that we saw in the Schulenberg area at Praha. Most of these churches are Catholic and have served the Czech people that came to this area. The inside walls are hand painted and absolutely gorgeous. If you ever have the chance to see any of them, I highly recommend it.

In my scrapbooking I most often do 2 page spreads. Rather than write out what I remembered about the churches, I googled "Texas Painted Churches" and was able to find the histories on each one that we visited. I printed the history and cut it out to fit on my paper.

This is a closer view of the left side of my spread. The background paper is from SU! Flock Together designer paper that I had left from a few years ago. The piece that I cut for the left side is from SU! Bella Bleu.

In the picture on the bottom right, you can see some of the actual painting that is done on the walls. I plan to include many more pictures of the painting that I took on my pages. Several of the churches had walls that used more blues than we normally see so I choose blues for my background papers. There were many paintings of flowers, natural life and angels throughout these churches. Most of the painting was done for the ceiling and upper sections of the walls.

I felt that accents with flowers would look good on these pages so I stamped images from the Fabulous Florets(#123027) set on white cardstock in Island Indigo, Marina Mist and Wild Wasabi. I cut those out and placed them around the pages. I used Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430) to make some of them pop up. I also ran some Bashful Blue stitched ribbon across the pages.

If you are interested in learning more about Texas Historic Painted Churches, just google them. You will find a lot of pages with historical information as well as, info about tours that you can take to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment